Tendulkar hands over MI Captaincy to Harbhajan

Sachin Tendulkar has hands over the captaincy of the Mumbai Indians team to off-spinner Harbhajan Singh. Tendulkar, who recently completed 100 international centuries, has resigned the post as he needed a "break from captaincy".

India discard Harbhajan Singh led Mumbai Indians successfully to the Champions League title in 2011 when Sachin Tendulkar missed out with an injury.

"Sachin Tendulkar in discussion with the management of Mumbai Indians has decided to hand over the responsibilities of captaining Mumbai Indians in season V of the Indian Premier League to ace off spinner Harbhajan Singh," said a press release issued by Mumbai Indians.

Sachin Tendulkar said that he took the decision as he needed a 'break from the responsibility'.

"The Mumbai Indians is more than a team. It is like a family to me. At this point of time, I feel I need a break from the responsibility of captaincy of the Mumbai Indians. After due consideration, I discussed my intention to hand over the captainship of the team to Harbhajan Singh, with Mukeshbhai and Nitabhabhi." he said.

Tendulkar added that he discussed the decision with Mukesh and Nita Ambani, the owners of the franchise. "I was touched by the graciousness and wholehearted support they offered me while emphasising that they would accept any decision which helps me to continue enjoying the game. Harbhajan will have my wholehearted support as the senior most player in the team."

Harbhajan Singh, who will take over from Sachin Tendulkar for the fifth edition of the IPL, said it was a huge honour to lead the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment